Friday, April 29, 2011

Miso Salmon with Edamame Salad

While I am not sure when this situation would ever arise, if someone were to tell me I was only allowed one category of food to eat for the rest of my life-be it meats, dairy, vegetables, seafood-I think I can easily say I'd be content with seafood. While my sister and I disagree on this food category (two minds can't ALWAYS cook alike), I have always loved fish and fish products since I was a child. My mom can attest to memories of me at Russian restaurants relentlessly eating pickled herring as if the world's supply of herring was ending the next day. My love of seafood is my inspiration for today's meal:


Ingredients: Salad
Adapted from Good Housekeeping 

  • 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen unshelled edamame beans
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced

Salmon
  • 2 tablespoon red miso
  • 1  green onion, minced
  • 1 tablespoon grated, peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 salmon fillet with skin


I believe fish is one of the easiest foods to cook and hardest to mess up. It has a relatively short cooking time, and absorbs marinade very well. The miso was a little bit hard to find, but really pulled this dish together. Also, the salad probably serves 3-4, but it is perfect for refrigerating and eating with your next few lunches/dinners. 

Preparation: Salad
1. Cook edamame as directed on the package. After approximately 5 minutes of cooking time, drain the edamame and rinse with cold water to prevent further cooking. 

2. In medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Add the edamame and sliced radishes and toss. You can also garnish with cilantro for extra flavor. 

3. Refrigerate until fish is prepared.

Salmon
1. In small bowl. mix miso, onion, ginger, sugar, and pepper. Rub the mixture on the flesh side of the salmon fillet.

2. Because I don't have grill in my apartment, I broiled the salmon, but you can choose your own method of cooking. To broil, place the skin side on a bottom of a greased pan and cook at 375º until salmon turns opaque and easily flakes when tested with a fork.

3. Serve salmon with edamame salad and you're ready to eat.





Thanks for reading!


~A

3 comments:

  1. i seriously love everything you guys make and this is no exception. it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dayyyyum son. looks banging!!! make me this salad when u return back to the motherland

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! We love reading them and we will do our best to respond to everyone who comments!