Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cottage Cheese Whole Wheat Pancakes


Although breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, it is also by far the most overlooked. With only 24 hours in a day, 8-10 of which are supposed to be dedicated to sleep, I am often guilty of rushing out of my apartment with a Nutri-Grain Bar, if even that. Yet breakfast is so extremely necessary for good health--it kick starts your metabolism, provides the energy you need to start your day, and is helpful for weight loss. 


Today's post is dedicated to a healthier spin on a breakfast favorite: warm fluffy pancakes! Like I said in my quinoa post, I have started a new habit of avoiding all enriched products. I substituted normal bleached flour for 100% whole wheat flour in this recipe to provide a great source of fiber. And I included cottage cheese in the pancake batter for added calcium and because, well...it's just delicious!

Ingredients (makes 6-8 pancakes) 
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
4 eggs
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons canola oil
Canola oil cooking spray

Procedure
1. In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar. In a separate larger bowl, whisk together eggs, cottage cheese, milk, and oil. Add the dry flour mixture and whisk completely.

2. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Scoop approximately 1/2 cup of the patter and pour onto the pan. Make sure it spreads evenly and is not too thick. Cook until batter starts to bubble and the pancake is browned, then flip. 

3. Transfer to a plate, and continue with your next batch, spraying the pan with cooking spray every time. Then serve.


The great thing about this meal is that I still had pancakes leftover for tomorrow morning, so all I have to do is reheat and cut some more strawberries and I'll have a delicious breakfast in minutes! I'm all for eating my way towards a faster metabolism :)




~A

5 comments:

  1. Omg this looks so good! It is 1 am right now and I want breakfast so bad. You guys make the best stuff =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vida!! I'm glad we're making you hungry, haha.

    P.S.--breakfast at 1am is totally acceptable

    ~A

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is making me want a finals study break at a diner!!! yummy yummy yummy..the pics make the food look like its actually in front of me and im soooo hungry nowwww lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds amazing and looks absolutely enticing :)

    http://ladyonaroof.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So.. are you going to be cooking these for me when we get home from school?..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! We love reading them and we will do our best to respond to everyone who comments!