Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Red Lentil Soup

There are so many types of lentil soups in existence and from many different countries, that it is hard to pick a favorite.  I have tried red lentil, yellow lentil, and brown lentil soups all made with different spices and of different consistencies.  While I enjoy them all, my favorite version of the soup has to be my dad's recipe.  I have been eating it for years and can remember my dad making this from a young age.  This lentil soup recipe is one of the first recipes that I was able to make well.  I love the color of the soup and the slight acidity that comes from adding lemon juice.  It is such a great dish to make as fall approaches!



Ingredients

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium sized yellow onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups red lentils, rinsed
1 16-oz can of tomato sauce
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large pot, heat the oil.  Cook the onion and the garlic until soft.

2. Add the broth, lentils, tomato sauce, cumin, coriander, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

3.  Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the lentils are tender and the soup is thick.  More water can be added if the soup becomes too thick.




Enjoy!

~Rona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! We love reading them and we will do our best to respond to everyone who comments!