Thursday, January 26, 2012

Patatas Bravas

I think that I could go to tapas restaurants just for the patatas bravas.  I enjoy tapas but as a self-defined "selective eater" who does not eat seafood or pork, the selection of dishes that I find appealing is small at best.  There are a few dishes that are exceptions but for the most part when I go to a tapas place I am most looking forward to eating the patatas bravas.

Of course, I began to question why I never tried making them myself.  Honestly, I was a little nervous about the aioli sauce.  I had visions of myself making mayonnaise from scratch and ending up sick because I did not do it correctly.  I will continue to leave home made mayonnaise to the professionals.  Instead, I found a recipe for aoili using store bought mayonnaise and I decided to give it a try.  The sauce was actually simple and came out really well.  I served the potatoes with a chili sauce that I have at home; I did not make it from scratch.  So yes, a disclaimer--this is a simplified version of patatas bravas but I am really happy with the way that they turned out.


Patatas Bravas
Makes 4 portions

For the aioli sauce:

1/2 teaspoon salt
2 medium sized cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup olive oil

1. In a blender or food processor combine all of the ingredients and blend until smooth.

For the potatoes:

3 baking potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch long cubes
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup of vegetable oil

1.  In a large pot, pour the potato cubes and cover with water.  Bring the water to a boil and cook for 3-5 minutes. 

2.  Drain the water and transfer the potatoes to a large frying pan.  Add the vegetable oil and the spices and cook for 15-20 minutes over medium heat until the potatoes are soft enough to poke a fork through them.

3.  Pour the potatoes over paper towels and allow the liquid to drain.

4.  Serve the potatoes warm with aioli and chili sauce.

Enjoy!

~Rona

2 comments:

  1. i love papas bravas! when we came back from spain we brought home some brava sauce!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy!
    xo

    http://noordinaryshow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! We love reading them and we will do our best to respond to everyone who comments!