Well after another long and painful week, I am done with summer courses and am now two classes closer to a masters degree! There is not much to say other than a sigh of relief...I can finally enjoy summer!
I think that we all need a no calorie Friday this week because 4th of July is all about eating and relaxing. So I am starting the long holiday weekend off with a batch of muffins. I made them smaller, more of a cupcake size so they are perfect for a small snack. Best of all the recipe is very easy and quick to make. The result is a very delicious treat that is a perfect mixture of sweet and citrus-flavored especially when they are still warm from the oven.
makes 12 small muffins
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 8-oz container of honey yogurt (or another sweet flavor)
1/3 vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/4 freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a 12 muffin cup tray with baking cups.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture and set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg, yogurt, oil, and vanilla.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the center well of the dry mixture and stir until the batter is just moistened.
5. Spoon batter into the muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
6. While the muffins are baking combine the orange juice and powdered sugar to create a glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the warm muffins and serve immediately.
Happy Fourth of July Weekend! I hope that it is filled with fun, relaxation, and good food!