Monday, October 3, 2011

Light and simple coleslaw salad

I love having a small selection of salads to eat with each meal. Some recipes I make are family recipes, others are inspired from restaurants, or magazine pictures.

One of my favorite salads to make is a simple sliced carrot and sliced white cabbage salad. My dad has been making one with olive oil, lemon juice, and sugar over the years. I have also tried to branch out by using fruit like pineapple or cranberries, adding purple cabbage and other attempts at being creative, all starting with the sliced cabbage.

I have also wanted to create a good coleslaw salad, one that isn't too heavy on mayo like many restaurant varieties. I am pleased that I finally created a simple coleslaw, using some mayo, red wine vinegar, and a little sugar. It is a perfect combination of sweet and tangy, but not drenched in mayo. I already made this salad three times over the past two weeks...always a good sign :)





Ingredients
Makes 8-10 portions

Small head of white cabbage, with the outer leaves removed, rinsed and shredded
3-4 carrots, peeled and shredded
1/3 cup mayo, more to taste
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, more to taste
6 tablespoons sugar, more to taste

1. Combine the carrots, cabbage, sugar, red wine vinegar, and mayo in a large bowl an mix together. Add more of each ingredient to taste.

Note: you will never use the same amount of ingredients each time since the cabbage will always be different sizes.  I always add the ingredients, taste the salad, and then add more until I am satisfied.

2.  Let the salad sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.  This allows the cabbage to soak up the liquid and to get a little bit softer.

Enjoy!

~Rona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! We love reading them and we will do our best to respond to everyone who comments!